Sunday, March 11, 2012

Outside of School

First I want to give a quick clarification on the last post about finally making something. We don't get to actually make a lot of food this term because we are learning techniques. The chef instructor makes dishes every class in Culinary Foundations. Secretly I think they limit what we make because we have yet to pass the ServSafe exam, but the real reasons are probably not wanting to have P&B students making things they are unlikely to need again and making sure we understand some basic things before we get really dirty. So even though I don't bring food home every day, I'm learning and I love it.

Enough about school; I am managing to keep a life outside of it. For example today Alex and I took Smoke to the Daily City Food Truck Bazaar. We've gone a couple of times when they are in our neck of the woods. I don't know if other roundups work this way, but Daily City has a monthly schedule that goes to a different city/area every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Every second Sunday I get excited now and Smoke will too. He loved it, though he was over stimulated.

This is Alex feeding him a Lolli-pup from Sit and Stay Cafe. He had no problem licking until it was gone and also ate the heck out of the Ginger Beef Jerky. For us, we hit up the Feast Beast, Crooked Spoon, and Fork In The Road. The sausage in the Feast Beast sandwich was delicious, Alex can't get enough of the homemade chips from Crooked Spoon, and the Elvis-wich cookie ice cream sandwich from FITR was good. It didn't blow my socks off like Batter Bowl does, but the peanut butter cookies were solid.

Smoke made big steps in socializing and visiting places this weekend. Aside from going to the Food Truck Bazaar, my sister and I took him to Waterford Lakes Town Center. He has no problem with going up to people or letting them pet him. He needs to adjust to meeting new dogs and good behavior around them. Hopefully next weekend we can have dinner at my parents' house and he can meet their three dogs who will have no qualms showing him. He doesn't always want to come and doesn't like being around cars, but he's young and just needs to experience things I think.

I'm working on a diploma in Pastry & Baking, so what do I choose to do with my free time? Take the level 2 Wilton cake decorating course, Flowers & Cake Design. Cake decorating is included in the curriculum too. Why then spend the money and time? One, I enjoy it; two, I get to do it with my best friend Heather; three, I don't mind spending that money to start learning it now, so that I can get in extra practice and be even better later. Last night was the first class and we learned pansies and button flowers. My pansy needs some work.

It's been a lovely weekend. I'm feeling ready to take on the week . . . after I spend the next couple hours ironing my uniforms. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment